[r2001 01336] The CWB show aftermath....
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:34:13 +0300
"Aleksi Aaltonen" <>

Hello everyone!

I'm back here in Helsinki after a week-long trip to NYC. So, I'd like to use some time and words to give a personal
review of what I experienced during this show.


On Sunday evening, September 6, I had finished a consuming period of preparing the digital presentations and
all other stuff for the trip. I never really had the time to emotionally prepare for the trip - it was just work and then
I was already on the way. After a few hours of sleep I got my paintings, package the CD and took a taxi to the
airport. I really didn't feel like going anywhere. I wanted to find any possible excuse to cancel the whole thing.
But I didn't and soon I was in Stockholm catching my connection flight to NYC. Some 8 hours later the SAS
Boeing 767 landed at the Newark airport. I felt like I don't wanna be here. But was also already anxious to meet
Seiji and Toko for the very first time. And my Yolino (Yola). I had some trouble in fiding the paintings I brought
with me since they were oversize blablablabla, but then I was standing already in the taxi queue, suddenly to be
hit by a sand storm and right after on a helluva thunder storm and rain. My new suit was WET and so was
everything else. The taxi found its way through those horrible NY traffic jams to 473 Broadway. Finally! I took the
elevator and once the doors opened at the seventh floor the first thing I saw was some Japanese guy, who I knew
must be Seiji, and in the left was apparently Toko, and in between Yola, and Jureck. All working hard in hanging
the works on the walls. I had low expectations on the quiality of the show and was totally surprised that actually
the Abraham Lubelski Gallery was looking really good already. feeling little uncomfortable, since I had just
arrived and missed the original planning, I went to work haning my own pieces and helping with the other ones.
Few hours later we finished the day and headed to Brooklyn-experience (Seiji, Toko, Yola and I) - after waiting for
the taxi in the rain. Toko made a wonderful little dinner and I was happy to get to sleep after a long day.

The upcoming few days would be constant work. Hanging paintings at the Abraham Lubelski Gallery, and the
450 Broadway gallery, we (mainly Seiji, Toko, Yola and I) were carrying heavy pieces around the town, hanging
paintings, adding labels, working the computers at the NYArts Magazine office until the the early morning hours,
getting some coffee, joking about everything, trying to remember to do all that was necessary, printing lists,
writing, fighting:-)

Tuesday we went to Trans-Hudson Gallery (the one we earlier had the Binary Code show), since we would be
lending a PC from Joseph, the gallery owner. I uploaded the files from my cd to the hard disk and tested that
everything should work right. In a way it did, but little later Joseph called that there was something wrong with
his computer. In using the text editors it was freezing! Well, so was I after hearing this. It was all weird. After an
arbitrary amount of typing the computer just freezed. We wouldn't need to type anything during the show, but
what if it starts affecting other applications as well? It did complicate the file installation and fine tuning a little on
Saturday when I was making the final adjustments with Sharif, who had arrived from Chicago - the virtual
technical master-mind.

Thursday we visited the opening of the Gary Beeber show, and few others. Congratulations Gary. Friday we
stopped by at the SoHo20 opening, and starting from Thursday it was all shaking hands, talking with with
friends, and enemies. Yola seemed to know the whole town and always after 10 meters somebody she knew came
accross. It was fun, but consuming.

On Saturday morning we woke up (surprise!!!) Preparing some food for the evening party. Mainly it was Yola and
Toko who took care of that but Seiji and I tried to help a little. Seiji and I then soon took to the city again, leaving
Jureck behind a locked door (sorry Jureck... I feel guilty of that.). After fine-tuning the WebArt presentations in
Chelsea on the PC we (Seiji, Sharif and I) took the PC to the Lubelski Gallery. Hoping that everything would work
fine. It was 3pm. Three hours to go until the opening. We had a new probelm: Sharif's masterful Shockwave
presentation for some reason refused to work on the PC. So I suggested we try the Mac we will also have for the
gallery tour and then maybe at some point switch the projector (that feedback was providing us). After
discussing with Yola, we were ready to try, and Sharif got it working on the Mac. Few things and preparations
were still to be done at Abraham Lubelski and 450 Broadway. We worked like lunatics, but by 6pm everything
was ready. I was so super exhausted and am sure that so were all others. I nearly had a fight with Yolino:-)

About at 4pm I was at 450 gallery doing some final preparations while I heard someone walking up the stairs. I
saw a guy saying hello and asking for an elevator (or lift as they use to say in England). I said, no, it doesn't come
to the 4th floor so he shouted to someone called Catherine that she has to walk. That name made me ask, "Are
you Gerald?" And he was! So for the very first time I met Gerald, an eternal pain in the...... with all his brilliant
ideas. It was so much fun to see this crazy Englishman!

6pm, the show can start! The paintings were on the walls, the projector was being prepared, people started
coming in. It was so HOT and HUMID. I took my scarf and was ready for... whatever. So MANY people came in,
the gallery was totally packed with people walking around, hopefully watching the works, having some wine and
stuff. So many familiar faces and so many unfamiliar as well. I felt very good about the show and its success. Yola
had done an absolutely fantastic job in promotion. She must be the Brigthest Star On Broadway. We all thank
you Yola, for making this such a big success.

After 8pm, little late, Yola asked me to start the digital presentations. Before that however we noticed that we
have unsufficient electricity - making the computer and the projector turning off whenever. I said "Oh shit", I
guess. We had to take some lights off or risk the whole show. we took the ladders Yola climbed up and - took the
wrong fucking cable off! Switching off the computer once again. Well it was my fault since I didn't tell her we had
switched the power supply. I started the computer once more, through some difficulties, because every time you
inproperly shut down a Windows system one may expect trouble ahead. So I clikced three buttons and the show
started running with Birgitta's poem. A masterful series of WebArt presentations being projected on a
silver-screen. (or a white canvas...) I was scared to death, scared to death every second of it. Every second I
prayed the machine to keep going and moving forwards properly. I was really so scared that I couldn't watch
many parts of the show. But maybe nobody noticed. Sharif came to me at some point and told that Yola wants to
switch to Mac after one more presentation. So I was reliefed. Few more minutes and I can relax! But the damn
Feedback guy had fanished again! I ran downstairs, finding him having a cigarette, and we came up and switched
the computers, that paving the way for the Sharif Ezzat presentation. Standing in the middle of Abraham, Yola
and Gerald I proudly wached the presentation of this young ambigious person. The show was over, leaving the
physical exhibition for yet another week or so to go on. We went on to a very hilarious party, all of us together,
enjoying the relief and the wonderful re-union of this wonderful truly and absolutely global group. I'm sure that
this was the very first time when so many people, simply meeting through the internet, put up a show this big and
where spending an evening together in this large quantity.

People started leaving, one by one - and so did we (Seiji, Toko, Jureck and I). Just to notice that Yola forgot her
keys to the office. In the middle of the night somewhere in Brooklyn. Well, as god's gift to human kind, Jureck
was there with us and offered us a place to stay over-night (since he lived just few meters away). The floor was
not too soft, but the tea was good and the experience interesting.

Next morning after having a lunch (Gerald, Catherine, Seiji, Toko, Yola and I), we went back to Abraham Lubelski
(except Gerald and Catherine who went back to their hotel) to pick up the PC and take back to Trans-Hudson
Gallery. Finally, just in time I had to get a taxi and head to the airport. I said goodbye to Toko, to Seiji, and finally
to Yola, got into a taxi and waved goodbye. A Boeing 767 took me back to Europe, flying over the Manhattan,
reminding me of something I was losing again. For a while.

New York is shit pool. it was so hot, so humid, there are to many cars, the traffic jams are terrible and people
are...... But as I said, flying over the tops of Manhattan I was leaving a place that already, as many other places
too, is a part of my soul, my entire being.

I will never forget the Abraham Lubelski gallery, and it's intelligent boss, mr. Abraham Lubelski. Thank you
Abraham, I wish you all the well, and am proud of you - in a way. I will never forget Scott and April I met there
again. Scott, you have a funny smile! Keep on surfing! I will never forget Sharif with his crazy laughter and
extreme ideas pusing into reality what once before was only virtual. Say hello to your friend with you, who's name
I unfortunately missed. I will never forget meeting Judith again, and Denise. I will never forget Amy - thank you
for the wine, and your nice words. I will never forget Jureck and your tea. And thanks for your nice words, they
mean a lot to me. Joseph, thank you for lending us the PC. You and your bicycle is a funny sight in Chelsea:-)
And I will never forget Gerald. Though I love teasing you, I know, you are a man of many brilliant ideas and a
whole lot of fun. I'm glad I finally saw you and hope to see soon again. And say hello to your wonderful wife,
Catherine, and your son. Never will I forget Seiji, a person far greater than what your emails reveal. You are
certainly the giant behind your silence - no wonder you are the who invented R2001 and hopefully changed many
things. As I said, I have a lot to learn from you. Toko, you work so hard and are such a nice person. Now I
understand that Seiji would be only half of a man without you. So nice to see you both and hopefully we meet
soon again. And dear Yolino, I will never forget the Brigtest Star On Broadway, I will never forget you, the time
we spent together, the work you do for all of us, the intelligence with which you steam ahead. I hope we will be
friends longer than forever and that we will do many, many wonderful things together, and maybe baby, someday
when we're old, we have some time to thing about all we did together. I will never ever forget you. Thank you,
thank you to everyone. We'll meet you again